Sunday, November 25, 2007

Pirates of ...?

Most of the time we think of pirates as some fictional characters from the latest Hollywood film. But sometimes I find myself being a "pirate" of sorts. No, for all you literalistic people out there, I am not talking about one of those fictional characters. (Although they do have cool outfits.)


At times I find myself going through life having a good ole time. No cares at all....including other peoples feelings, hopes, and dreams. My lack of care and concern at times leaves people hurt and "ship-wrecked".


"Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry...."
James 1:19


Yes, this is a bit out there for an analogy but stay with me. I want to be a person who thinks about what I say, watches out for opportunities to encourage others, and knows the impact a listening ear and a shoulder to lean on can really have. I want to be careful not to steal people's joy, enthusiasm, and hope.


"...hold on to faith and a good conscience. Some have rejected these and so have shipwrecked their faith." 1 Timothy 1:19

Just as a pirate can sneak through the night without much warning and steal what we love, so can being lazy with the influence we have as Christians. I represent an awesome God and every time I miss an opportunity to show how awesome He is, I am "stealing" the joy of Christ from them. No, we are not perfect, but we represent a perfect God. We should do our bests to be as much of reflection of what He has to offer those who are hurting, lost, and "shipwrecked" as we can.

"In everything set them an example by doing what is good. In your teaching show integrity, seriousness and soundness of speech that cannot be condemned." Titus 2:7-8

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Arrrr! Matie!!! Ize hast to agrzz wit ya. You make bloomin great zense of it all! Now hand over me gold!

Anonymous said...

Shiver me timbers!! You so wise