Thursday, March 20, 2008

Sacrifice

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
no need for greed or hunger
a brother hood of man
Imagine all the people
sharing for the world....
you...you may say I'm a dreamer
but I'm not only one
I hope some day you'll join us
and world will be as one
Oh...you may say I'm a dreamer
but I'm not the only one
take my hand and join us
and the world will live as one.

(Imagine-John Lennon)


The news today is full of talk about recession,"cutting back", doing without, and fear of tough days ahead. I wonder just how much each of us will have to sacrifice in the months ahead. How does our potential sacrifices compare to those around us?


I've been to countries where our "needs" are others luxuries. New shoes - any shoes, eating out - eating at all, affordable health care - any health care, and the list continues. You don't have to go far to see the drastic differences in our world. Even here in the middle of the "bible belt" people go without these comforts everyday.


Each of us has something we could sacrifice for the good of someone else. I want to challenge you, as I challenge myself, to not wait for a recession to see what you can do without. Don't make sacrifice a forced dilemma - make it a planned choice.


I am thankful that I live in this country and that God has blessed me with the gifts, talents, and resources I have. Shame on me if I sit and hold on to these and choose to worry about my own future rather than helping a person in need.

~~~~~~

Sacrifice isn't sacrifice if it doesn't hurt a little.


Let's not forget the significance of this weekend and the most painful sacrifice of all.

2 comments:

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

What a great post. Thanks for being challenging!

Sardonica said...

Preach it...Oh, and I love you :-)